As a military spouse, I’m often faced with good-intending yet frustrating questions from civilians. Not frustrating because of the innocuous questions themselves, but frustrating because I just can’t answer them. I either don’t know the answer or I’m sworn to OPSEC secrecy or it’s impossible for civilians (myself included sometimes) to truly understand the sacrifices our service members make for our country. So feel free to ask me one of the following questions, but don’t expect an answer.
10) How long will you live here?
9) Where are you going next?/When will you get orders?
8) Where exactly is your husband?
7) When is your husband coming home?
6) How often can he call/email/Skype?
5) Don’t you wish he had a normal job?
4) Doesn’t it bother you that he misses out on so much of your children’s lives?
3) Why doesn’t he just get out of the military?
2) When is he going to retire?
1) Did you watch the news the other night about all those people who were killed? Your husband isn’t there is he?