I used to love going to the beach. Lounging in the sun with a good book. Exfoliating my feet in the sand. Listening to the songs of sea gulls mixing with music from the radio. I used to think I could be a professional beach bum.
And then I had kids.
I’m currently on vacation, and I’m learning very quickly that vacations just aren’t the same as they used to be pre-parenthood. Thanks to my wonderful family and a visit to the beach, here are my…
Top 10 Things to Remember When Going to the Beach With 5 Adults and 3 Kids
10. Plan to caravan. 2 carseats and 1 booster seat take up A LOT of space in a car.
9. Apply sunscreen at home. You’ll never be able to slather it on wiggly kids eager to make sand angels.
8. Do not bring every toy the kids beg you to bring. Not only does it take all 5 adults to lug the gear to your desired beach site, but the toys likely won’t be touched after their initial dumping out of the tote bags.
7. Even if they eat a 7-course meal before leaving the house, the kids will claim to be hungry within 15 minutes of setting up the umbrellas. Pack food.
6. A bucket with a hole in the bottom will not hold water.
5. Sand hides in strange places. That includes tiny tushies.
4. High waves and sticky sea grass can be escaped by riding atop tall shoulders.
3. Don’t go swimming with the car keys in your pocket.
2. Don’t try to cure travel-induced irregularity BEFORE hitting the beach.
1. Don’t bother bringing reading material. There’s no such thing as a relaxing trip to the beach when you have kids.
What tops your list?