Two weeks ago I posted a top 10 list about why I’m excited to go back to work. But as excited as I am to return to the work force, I’m also suffering from some major anxiety as the start of the school year gets closer and closer. I try to be optimistic about most things, and I fully intend to embark on this adventure with a positive attitude. However, I feel the need to work out my feelings, get them off my chest and ask for support and advice.
So here are my….
Top 10 Reasons Why I’m Terrified About Going Back to Work
10) What if I don’t like my job? I’d hate to put my family and myself through this huge adjustment only for me to be unhappy.
9) What if I don’t have time to spend with my friends? I’m so used to being able to meet friends for lunch or plan an afternoon playdate for the kids. I won’t be able to do that anymore.
8) What if I’m too tired to cook dinners? I usually cook dinner every week day, and I don’t want to give that up and resort to fast food. That wouldn’t be good for our budget, my kids’ nutrition, or my waistline.
7) How will I handle it all when my husband travels? It’s hard enough being a single parent as a Domestic Engineer. What will life be like as a working single mom?
6) Will I waste my weekends catching up on errands and household chores instead of relaxing?
5) Will I have enough time and energy for my family?
4) How will I cope with the disappointment of missing important events? I just learned that Big C’s Open House for 1st grade is the same night as my Open House as a teacher. I have NEVER missed an event like this for my children. What else will I miss?
3) How will I find the time to work out? Exercise is a large part of my life. I like being fit, and I like having that stress reliever. Once I start working, I’ll have to either wake up at o’dark thirty or hit the gym after the kids are in bed at night. Neither option sounds very appealing.
2) What if I’m not a good teacher? I’m typically a pretty confident person. But I can’t help but harbor a little bit of self-doubt.
1) Will I have enough time to myself? Will I be able to keep blogging? Will I have time to read other blogs? Will I have time to read magazines or novels? Will my ME time completely disappear?
Do you have any advice for kicking those nerves and anxiety? What’s the best way to balance it all?