Thanksgiving is almost here, and like most people, I’m thinking about all the things I’m thankful for this year.
I started composing a top 10 list of things I’m thankful for, but the list was generic and predictable. Of course I’m thankful for my husband, my children, my family and friends, our health, and steady paychecks. These are the obvious big ticket items, the things I am grateful for every year, the things that are always on my mind as I sit together with my family for our Thanksgiving feast.
So I started my top 10 list over because I wanted to think of the little things I’m thankful for, those things that often get forgotten. There things may not be as important as those big ticket items, but they sure have made my life easier and for that I’m grateful. Here are my…
Top 10 Little Things I’m Thankful For
10) I’m thankful for online shopping. Crowded malls make me feel claustrophic, and long checkout lines unnerve me. I now do most of my holiday shopping from home.
9) I’m thankful for healthy fast food menu options. I swore I’d never resort to fast food on days that are too busy for a home-cooked meal, but some days I just have to give in. But at least fast food is no longer synonymous with junk food.
8) I’m thankful for grocery shopping without the kids. I think I shave a good 30 minutes off my weekly grocery runs when I don’t have to deal with kids running off and knocking cereal boxes off the shelves.
7) I’m thankful for current fashion trends that allow comfortable work clothes. Boots that feel like slippers, leggings that feel like pajama bottoms, and oversized sweaters that feel like blankets: the perfect teacher uniform.
6) I’m thankful for Friday nights with a Netflix movie, a bowl of popcorn, and a bottle of wine. Sometimes that’s all I need to unwind after a busy week.
5) I’m thankful for my blog. I’m rapidly approaching my 1 year blogoversary, and I can no longer imagine my life without it. Between the writing itself, the freelance writing gigs the blog helped me get, and the wonderful people I’ve met I’ve met, blogging has been such an amazing experience.
4) I’m thankful that I’m finally starting to adjust to my new life as a working mom. The transition back to work from full-time Domestic Engineer was much more difficult than I expected. But I think I’m finally getting into my groove.
3) I’m thankful for my physical therapist. After suffering through a tough hamstring injury for a year and a half, I’m finally pain-free and running again. And I’m particularly thankful that last week was my final therapy session!
2) I’m thankful that I’m getting over my Bah Humbug Funk!
1) I’m thankful that my husband will be home for the holidays this year.
What little things are you thankful for this year?