As the end of 2010 approaches, I’ve been thinking about all of the things that made this year unforgettable.
Here are my…
Top 10 Roller Coaster Highlights of 2010
10) I finally found a physical therapist who magically cured my bum leg. You might think it’s weird that out of all the things that happened this year, I’m talking about a healed injury, but running has always been a huge part of my life, whether it was running for fun or training for and competing in races. I pulled my hamstring 3 weeks prior to a half marathon last year, and the idiot that I am, I ran the race anyway. I was so disappointed that I wasn’t able to run it this year because of that injury. Now I’m back on the treadmill and ready to train for that half marathon in 2011!
9) Big C hit so many milestones this year. He learned how to ride a bike without training wheels, lost his 1st 2 teeth, graduated from t-ball to baseball, played in his 1st soccer league, finished kindergarten, and started 1st grade reading at a 2nd grade level. He now reads books to me!
8) Little C hit milestones as well. She ditched her binkies and potty trained herself (in the same day!), started tearing up the pavement on her Big Wheels trike, and started attending preschool where she learned how to recite her alphabet, color inside the lines, and recognize most of the letters of her name. In 1 year, she went from my baby girl in diapers to my big girl in school.
7) I loved visiting my parents for a week over the summer. My brother and his wife made the trip too, and I finally met my niece! My family is spread out all over the country so getting together is never easy.
6) I attended the Milblogging Conference and placed in the top 3 of the mil spouse award category. Back then, my blog was a mere 4 months old, and as soon as I got there, I felt I was unworthy to be in the company I was in. But I met some amazing people and learned A LOT. Milblogging Conference 2011 here I come!!!
5) I cashed my 1st paycheck for something I wrote! After years of talking about being a writer, I finally made the effort this year to BE a writer. I’m thrilled with the writing opportunities I’ve been given, and I can only hope they’ll continue.
4) When Mr. Roller Coaster returned from deployment, we ditched the kids and spent almost a week in Jamaica. It was the perfect way for us to reconnect and spend some much-needed time alone in a beautiful, relaxing setting.
3) I went back to work. Despite the huge adjustment for our entire family, I’m so happy I made the decision to get back out into the working world. As much as I loved being a Domestic Engineer, I needed something else.
2) The Roller Coaster family successfully completed Deployment #2. The deployment itself wasn’t exactly a highlight, but you know me, I like to see the positive in everything. The deployment was a great reminder of what a strong, supportive military spouse I am (and it gave me lots of writing material!). And of course my husband’s homecoming was the best part.
1) 2010 saw the birth of Wife on the Roller Coaster. One of my New Year’s Resolutions in 2009 was to start a blog, and I had no idea how it would transform my life. That may sound silly, that a blog changed my life, but it has in so many ways.
What are some highlights of your 2010?