I haven’t seen my parents since July. So when they came to visit for a few days this past weekend for Big C’s birthday party, I tried to enjoy and appreciate the short time we were able to spend together. My parents and I have always been very close. Well, maybe we hit some rough patches in my teenage years, but in general, we’ve always had a great relationship. I talk to them every single day, usually twice a day, but talking on the phone just isn’t the same as a visit. It’s amazing to see how that parent/child dynamic has changed over the years. My parents have gone from being my caregivers to my friends. And I can only hope that I’ll have the same kind of relationship with my own children. Here are my… Top 10 Reasons Why I Love When My Parents Visit
10) They give awesome redecorating tips and offer extra hands for moving furniture. Our house never looks the same after they visit!
9) Unlike typical house guests, they don’t expect me to be a hostess or entertain them. They are more than content to sit on the couch and just visit.
8) My mother sits through “fashion shows” as I try on all my clothes and she helps me decide which clothes to get rid of and which to keep.
7) My father helps Mr. Roller Coaster with yard work and other outside activities that I’m not so great at, like holding the ladder (which isn’t so easy when it includes watching helplessly as a tree limb knocks that ladder over and my husband falls out of the tree).
6) Even though I’ve retold and heard stories from my childhood a million times, it never gets old laughing about them again.
5) My parents still dote on me and pamper me.
4) They dote on and pamper my kids too.
3) I’m able to see my kids through their grandparents eyes. Their perspective helps me to see the humor in behavior that would typically frustrate me and other cute things I might otherwise overlook because I see them every day and my parents don’t.
2) Free baby-sitters!
1) It’s always fun to share a bottle of wine (or 2 or 3).
Whose out-of-town visits do you love?