Back in July, I wrote a post for Blue Star Families called “The Upside of Deployment.” I wrote it toward the end of Mr. Roller Coaster’s deployment, at a time when I had gotten comfortable with my solitary existence. There’s no way I could have written that piece at the beginning of the deployment. Because at the beginning, the bed is still too warm to even consider that there’s anything positive about spending the next several months missing your other half.
As I mentioned yesterday, Mr. Roller Coaster recently left “on a trip.” And I decided to go back and reread that post to remind myself to put on my rose-colored glasses. It doesn’t matter if our husbands are gone for 6 weeks or 6 months, we miss them just the same. And just the same, we need to focus on the positives instead of the negatives.
Thanks to the contributions of Facebook and Twitter friends back in July, here is my…
Top 10 List of the Upsides of Deployment
10) No snoring!
9) Sharing extra bonding time with my kids
8) Following my own routine and schedule
7) Spending time with friends
6) Eating whatever I want, whenever I want
5) Strengthening my marriage through a greater appreciation for my spouse and increased communication skills
4) Taking ownership of the television remote control (which includes free rein to watch chick flicks)
3) Saving money
2) Enjoying time to myself and focusing on work, personal projects, and hobbies
1) Feeling a sense of freedom and independence as well as gaining personal strength and self-confidence
What tops your list?