Memorial Day is coming up next Monday. So what can we do to observe this day other than going shopping and swimming at the newly opened pool? Here are my…
Top 10 Ways to Observe Memorial Day
9) Honor a veteran on Facebook by changing your profile picture to an image of a veteran you know or an American flag
8) Volunteer to place flags on military graves
7) Attend a Memorial Day ceremony or parade
6) Educate yourself. Read a book about military history, chat with a veteran, or visit a military museum or other historic military site.
5) Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper to remind those in your community about the meaning of Memorial Day
4) Thank a veteran, either personally or in writing
3) Fly the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon
2) Reach out to the family members left behind (widows, widowers, children, and parents). If you know widows or widowers in your community, help them with yard work, bring them a meal, or honor them with a neighborhood barbecue. Otherwise, email, send a card, or call to let them know you’re thinking of them.
1) Participate in the National Moment of Remembrance at 3 p.m. to pause and think about the true meaning of Memorial Day and remember our fallen service members. Help spread the word by telling 3 people about “the moment” and asking them to share with 3 other people.